Ageing is a fact of life, and wrinkled or sagging skin can seem unavoidable. Thankfully, over the years treatments have been tested and introduced to help us regain a youthful complexion without the need for going under the knife. Laser skin tightening is one of these treatments – using the power of laser technology and heat, laser skin tightening can trigger your body’s natural collagen and elastin-producing processes and ultimately lead to a smoother, more youthful appearance. Interested? Here’s everything you need to know.
What Is Laser Skin Tightening?
Laser skin tightening is precisely what the name suggests – tightening of the skin using laser technology. It is a non-invasive choice for those seeking a firmer, more youthful complexion without the needles and knives of other skin tightening methods. Laser skin tightening isn’t just for the face, either – it can be used on practically every part of the body, from your stomach and neck, to your legs and arms. It is painless, with just a hot sensation in most cases, and can work for any gender and age.
How Does It Work?
Laser skin tightening uses an infrared laser to trigger our skin’s natural collagen stores and elastin production processes. The heat penetrates through the skin and heats up the collagen that sits underneath the layers, effectively triggering it into constricting and tightening the skin layers. Similarly, elastin production helps to improve the elasticity of our skin, effectively leading to a smoother complexion. The non-invasive, painless method means that there is no downtime required and while it may take a few treatments to see results, the lack of downtime offers you the ability to get on with life without factoring in recovery time.
How Should I Prepare?
There’s nothing that you really need to do to prepare for laser skin tightening, however there are a few things you can do to improve the experience and to protect your skin. These include:
- Avoid the sun before and after laser treatment – sun damage can be worsened by laser treatment.
- Keep your skin as healthy as possible – laser treatment can reactivate things like cold sores.
- Keep your skin moisturised with gentle products – a good skin quality before laser treatment will help to ensure it remains that way after
What About Aftercare?
As far as aftercare is concerned, there isn’t much that you need to do! The downtime following laser skin tightening is minimal, if any at all, and you can usually get straight back to your daily life following each session. That being said, there are a few things you can do for your comfort and the condition of your skin, including:
- Moisturise using gentle products and a gentle touch
- Take some time to rest if a more penetrative laser was used
- If treatment was completed on a sensitive area of your body, some downtime can be beneficial for your comfort
- Stay out of the sun as much as possible and utilise sun cream when outside
Are There Any Risks?
Laser treatment does present some risks, but most are rare or minor at best. In most cases, the risks associated with laser treatments relate to existing conditions or skin problems that we will always discuss with you at an initial consultation before embarking on laser treatment. Some potential side effects of laser skin tightening could include:
- Exacerbating existing cold sores
- Exacerbating existing skin conditions such as eczema or psoriasis due to the heat
- Patients of colour may experience hyperpigmentation if the wrong settings are chosen. Our professional team take every care to ensure the right lasers are used for each and every skin tone.
- Tenderness or redness on the skin
Every care will be taken by our team to ensure that you receive the best treatments for your skin type, colour and skin conditions.
For more information about laser skin tightening or how it can help you, we are on hand to help. Simply get in touch with us here at Beauty By Laser to book your consultation, today.